- Treat all firearms as if they are always loaded.
- Keep your finger off the trigger and outside of the trigger guard while loading or unloading
- Be sure of your target and the backstop beyond.
- Never give a firearm to or take a firearm from anyone unless the action is open and the magazine and/or chamber are free of any ammunition or brass.
- Be sure that the ammunition you are using is factory loaded, is of the correct caliber for the firearm in which it is to be used, and that it is not damaged in any way.
- Before firing, remove the magazine from the firearm, lock the action open, make sure the chamber is clear of any ammunition or brass, and check the barrel of the unloaded firearm for any possible obstructions.
- Before firing any firearm that is unfamiliar to you, make sure that you understand exactly how it functions. A lack of familiarity with the firearm can result in serious accidents.
- Attend a certified training course on any firearm which you intend to use or with which you are not sufficiently familiar.
- Always wear hearing and eye protection when using your firearm.
- Firearms should be locked and stored separately from ammunition and beyond the reach of children and/or any untrained individuals.
- Avoid the use of any alcoholic beverages or drugs before or during your use of a firearm.
Legally protect yourself by selling or transferring a firearm utilizing a Federal Firearms Licensee who can implement an FBI/NICS Instant Background Check. This protects the owner/seller from liability and removes ownership. “A Firearms Licensee will protect you”.